Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The beauty of me

I absolutely love washing my hair...

It's such a spiritual thing to me, I don't know why, maybe it's because like most black women I only do it once or twice a week, but after every wash I feel better.



When I first step into the shower most times my hair is a coily mess, but as the water hits it and the pressure from the shower head releases my hair springs to life, I pour shampoo into my hair and let it lather, I can feel my coils begin to spring to life, the real me is beginning to show. I scrub my scalp, I know I'm not supposed to but I NEED to get the grime off of my scalp, I need to wash away the world, let myself be fresh, new clean.

I lather up one more time, repeating the process, except this time my mind is clear, I'm thinking about life, I'm thinking about myself, I'm thinking about my future, past and present. Finding solutions to problems, working through the stresses of the week replaying them in my mind and seeing what I should have done, not what I did, it's amazing how much you can think of in a span of a few minutes when you have no other worries.

As I rinse out my hair for the final time, I rinse away the facade, I rinse away the product, I rinse it all away, turn off the shower, step out and see myself as I truly am, not makeup, no lotion, nothing other than myself, and guess what I like what I see.

1 comment:

Don said...

i love the way this post read with a touch of life within the mix. your hair looks like the black Farrah Fawcett, so, yeah i can see why washing it gives that much more meaning.

it's amazing how much you can think of in a span of a few minutes when you have no other worries.

you speak the truth.